Sunday 16 September 2012

Ronnie Tjampitjinpa -Bush Fire

-->

Artist: Ronnie Tjampitjinpa
Dreaming: Bush Fire
Painted: Alice Springs 2012

Seriously don’t bother watching the whole 26 min you’ve probably seen similar videos before.
Although I have no idea of the meaning of this painting other than it is a bush fire it was almost memorizing to listen to the music as he painted line after line parallel line. There is a hilarious part at about 15 min in where Ronnie looks at the camera with what I assume is disproval/ Disdain and makes a circle with his thumb and forefinger and stares through his imaginary camera at the camera man, almost as if to say how do you like it? Piss off and let me paint in piece.  I don’t know why I chose to the most ‘abstract’ of the videos but I did so I guess I’ll try to make my own meaning out of it. The parallel lines look a lot like a burnt rows of spinifex or the black lines could be scorched tree trunks. It’s interesting that when I goggled the painting the painting that comes up looks very different painting with many more colours and cropped differently selling for $20,000 not bad considering by looking at the video it was all painted in one day.  Ronnie’s art is a good representation of the characteristic Pintupi style: repetition of forms, which are geometric, simple and bold, and pigments which are often restricted to four basic colours of black, red, yellow and white.
Ronnie also is known to experiment with other colours as well.


From the  desertartcentre.com.au
“ABOUT THIS PAINTING

This Fire Dreaming artwork refers to Ronnie’s Pintupi Dreamtime ancestors.
It is a traditional custom for the Pintupi Aboriginal men to light bush fires, during ceremonial men's business.
The TINGARI Dreaming Stories are many, and also tell of the Ancestral beings transformation into creatures such as Snakes, and also representing the natural elements of Fire and water (rain).
This artwork waspainted at an out-station of Kintore Community. It is supplied with FULL HD video and multiple progress images.”
The finished painting is truly stunning even if I have no idea what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment