Tuesday 11 September 2012

Gary Lee


Photographer
Gary Lee

Gary lee’s work is somehow confronting to me, although many of his photographs aren’t necessarily of a sexual nature I find it hard to view some of the shots of body builders almost grotesque in the same way I find women who have had noticeable plastic surgery fake. I as a straight male I would much rather peruse the idea of the beauty of the female form the subtlety and smooth curves.

I find it very interesting that he chose to photograph people from a different culture (Indian/ Nepalese) rather than aboriginal people for his initial work.  I really enjoy the how unplanned and honest his fist photo’s where, just walking through the streets asking people if he could take their photo. The cultural/ language  barrier brings separation from the camera.  I feel that this is brings another level to the photo much like taking a photos on an iPhone rather than a SLR because people aren’t expecting to be photographed they are natural, rather than posing, putting a wall of lies between them and the lens.
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/02/01/gary_lee_narrowweb__300x456,0.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment